Data Studio and MDM

Steve Farr
Steve Farr Experian Contributor
edited December 2023 in General

It sometimes gets asked how we co-exist with an MDM system. We have many customers using Data Studio alongside their MDM - to improve it, monitor it and even to help build it in the first place. Here's a summary:

• Data Studio has no permanent data store. It is designed to ingest, enrich, monitor, cleanse, de-dupe and verify data prior to passing it to a store, such as an MDM. 
  • Data Studio will help you build an MDM and to maintain its health and cleanliness over time. 
  • You may wish to extract data from the MDM and into Data Studio in order to maintain its voracity.
  • You may wish to make this a regularly scheduled process

Data Studio gives you easily replicatable workflows in order to assist with the automation of these processes and feedback mechanisms (such as alerts and rule results) 

With some data sets – for reasons of immediacy, or because you are not interested in storing the data in the MDM, you may just wish to improve the data in Data Studio and return it to the operational system as part of a closed loop process.

Steve

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Experian Contributor

Hi @Steve Farr

Is there a technical obstacle in storing reference data in Aperture instead of loading it everyday?

If the customer do not have MDM system in place, and want to have an MDM flavor but not a full function, can Aperture provide a central repository for reference data to be checked against with the transnational data regularly?

• Clinton Jones
    Clinton Jones Experian Elite

@Ahmed Elshahawy the only way to get to the data in Data Studio is via a snapshot via ODBC.

Snapshots work well for recursive use with other workflows or additional data sets for lookups etc.

A better approach might be to use Data Studio to refersh a datamart or data lake and use that as the store.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Experian Contributor

@Clinton Jones i prepared this to describe the mdm proposition, let me know what you think

• Clinton Jones
    Clinton Jones Experian Elite

@Ahmed Elshahawy that looks about right. I think there are a couple of typos voracty should be veracity and replicatable should be replicable