Undo and Redo

Sueann See
Sueann See Experian Super Contributor
edited December 2023 in General

In Aperture Data Studio Version 1, we had the Undo and Redo menu options while creating or editing Functions.   This was however not available while creating or editing Workflows.

In the earlier days of Version 2, while there was the concept of Actions that you can remove or apply easily within the View creation or grid Explore mode, there wasn’t any way you could undo or redo actions in the workflow or function itself. 

From Version 2.1.12 onwards, you can now Undo and Redo while creating or editing Workflows as well as Functions. 

It feels as though this is a milestone although we all recognized this as a basic feature.  

I reflected upon how much our internal stakeholders have been advocating for the Undo and Redo feature to make a comeback in Aperture Data Studio Version 2 while we were focused on delivering other more exciting features. I thought it would be interesting to learn about the psychology behind the need for such feature.  

I came across this article on 10 general principles for interaction design and realized it is the point about User Control and Freedom: “When it's easy for people to back out of a process or undo an action, it fosters a sense of freedom and confidence.” People want to know it is okay if they made a mistake. People want to know it is okay if they changed their minds. 

While most if not all of us are still confined to our homes amidst a global pandemic, we hope it’s not too late to give you some of that freedom and control back with the re-introduction of Undo and Redo in Version 2. We also hope that this makes it more comfortable for you to explore and harness the potential of the product to achieve your business outcomes. 

Comments