AWS database connection issues to Aperture (v1.6.4)

Nigel Light
Nigel Light Contributor
edited December 2023 in General

Hi,

Does anybody have any suggestions why a database can arbitrarily flip-flop between connecting then disconnecting to Aperture? (I'm using AWS and there are no similar problems using native SQL Server)

It is baffling our technical team here and they are just wondering if it is an application issue (as nothing else is changing)

Log extract can be supplied if needed

Nige

Comments

• Nigel Light
    Nigel Light Contributor

For info - in case anybody else gets this issue - we might have sorted this

We found it worked with the IP address of the target server, so tried 'flushing the DNS' (Domain Naming System) and it worked

So, hopefully, fixed for now and looking into the cause..😏

• Clinton Jones
    Clinton Jones Experian Elite

@Nigel Light that was going to be where i would go, the DNS may be the issue. Inf in doubt use the IP address of the resource assuming it has one statically assigned.

• Nigel Light
    Nigel Light Contributor

Thanks @Clinton Jones . I'm not really technical enough to be able to comment other than my understanding is that the link will have to be amended if the IP address is used and the database is relocated to another server so this is not really suitable for an operational solution. It got us over a 'hurdle' though and we are developing rules again (for now anyway).

• Clinton Jones
    Clinton Jones Experian Elite

correct, instead of using the domain name of the server, you will need to use the IP address when defining the identifier for the server for the connection to the system.

It is a bit like choosing to connect to a server using its friendly name versus an IP address. Since the DNS service looks up the ip address anyway to resolve the name, using the IP address is a more direct but unfriendly way of defining the system.

It is static also; which is a problem if the network (IP) address is transient in nature.