Error when refreshing dataset - "Unable to get tables."

George Brown
George Brown Member
edited December 2023 in General

I've not seen this error before and I'm unsure how to resolve other than dropping and recreating the dataset.

I have a dataset that has been established for a few months. It uses a SQL query versus a specific table. Over the last several days, we have seen error notifications that the data cannot be refreshed when our primary workflow kicks off.

When I try to refresh the data manually, it gives an error "Unable to get tables." and both the Configure and Apply buttons are greyed out.

I've tried editing the definition and can do so successfully, but with no changes to the error. The only thing I haven't done yet is drop and recreate the dataset.

Are there other steps I can take to troubleshoot this further? If my only other option is to drop and recreate the datasets, what impact will it have on our workflows? Will I need to update them, or will they still work as long as I use the same names for the datasets?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Ian Hayden
    Ian Hayden Experian Super Contributor
    Answer ✓

Hi George,

I've not heard of this error before either. Checking the code shows that it's caused by an general exception but fortunately we write much more information about it to the log file. Could you take a look in there and find the corresponding section, or just send the log file to me and I'll take a look for you. There should be enough in there to help figure out what's going wrong.

The log file can be found in the repository directory under data/log/datastudio.log

Many thanks,

Ian

• George Brown
    George Brown Member
    Answer ✓

@Ian Hayden , thank you for the help.

For awareness to the community, the log file helped us solve this issue. The table names referenced in the SQL Query used as the source of the dataset had changed in our database. The log file contained the SQL errors that stated "Invalid object name". We corrected the names in the SQL Query and were able to successfully refresh the data.

Answers

• @Ian Hayden , sorry for the delay in following up; I've been working with our system administrators to get a copy of the file to send to you. What is the best way to get a copy of this to you for review?

• Ian Hayden

Hi George,

You should probably be able to zip the log down quite small and attach it to an email. If you send it directly to me I'll take a look. My email address should be in my profile.

Regards,

Ian

• @Ian Hayden , don't see your email in your profile. File is only 12kb. Here is some information that might shed light on the issue. Let me know what you think, and if you want the full file over email.

Experian.Qas.BatchAPIWrapper.BatchException: Error:QABatchWV_Open failed [-1021]

>> Data file has expired (Unable to open instance)

>> Data file has expired (Unable to open new instance)

> Data file has expired (Unable to set country to USA)

at Experian.Qas.BatchAPIWrapper.BatchApi.open(BatchApi.java:253) ~[batchRunner.jar:?]

at com.experian.datastudio.Qas.BatchObjectLayer.BatchInstance.<init>(BatchInstance.java:50) ~[batchRunner.jar:?]

at com.experian.datastudio.Qas.BatchObjectLayer.BatchEngine.open(BatchEngine.java:157) ~[batchRunner.jar:?]

at com.experian.datastudio.Qas.BatchObjectLayer.BatchManager.readAllCountriesAndCheckExpired(BatchManager.java:1115) ~[batchRunner.jar:?]

at com.experian.datastudio.Qas.BatchObjectLayer.BatchManager.validateCountriesForLayoutAndRepair(BatchManager.java:1029) ~[batchRunner.jar:?]

at com.experian.datastudio.Qas.BatchObjectLayer.BatchManager.getCountries(BatchManager.java:976) ~[batchRunner.jar:?]

at com.experian.datastudio.Qas.BatchObjectLayer.BatchManager.createBatchInstance(BatchManager.java:216) ~[batchRunner.jar:?]

at com.experian.datastudio.Qas.BatchObjectLayer.BatchManager.createBatchInstance(BatchManager.java:152) ~[batchRunner.jar:?]

at com.experian.datastudio.Qas.BatchObjectLayer.BatchManager.createBatchInstance(BatchManager.java:120) ~[batchRunner.jar:?]

at com.experian.datastudio.batchrunner.BatchControllerActor.setupBatch(BatchControllerActor.java:202) ~[batchRunner.jar:?]

at akka.japi.pf.UnitCaseStatement.apply(CaseStatements.scala:24) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at akka.japi.pf.UnitCaseStatement.apply(CaseStatements.scala:20) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at scala.PartialFunction.applyOrElse(PartialFunction.scala:189) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at scala.PartialFunction.applyOrElse$(PartialFunction.scala:188) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at akka.japi.pf.UnitCaseStatement.applyOrElse(CaseStatements.scala:20) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at scala.PartialFunction$OrElse.applyOrElse(PartialFunction.scala:246) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at akka.actor.Actor.aroundReceive(Actor.scala:539) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at akka.actor.Actor.aroundReceive$(Actor.scala:537) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at akka.actor.AbstractActor.aroundReceive(AbstractActor.scala:227) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at akka.actor.ActorCell.receiveMessage(ActorCell.scala:612) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at akka.actor.ActorCell.invoke(ActorCell.scala:581) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.processMailbox(Mailbox.scala:268) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.run(Mailbox.scala:229) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.exec(Mailbox.scala:241) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinTask.doExec(ForkJoinTask.java:260) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.runTask(ForkJoinPool.java:1339) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(ForkJoinPool.java:1979) [batchRunner.jar:?]

at akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:107) [batchRunner.jar:?]

2022-09-09 16:52:32,819 WARN c.e.d.f.FileHouseKeeperUtil [fileHousekeeperSystem-akka.actor.default-dispatcher-20073] Unable to delete: D:\ApertureDataStudio\data\log\com\experian\datastudio\sdk\parser\json\JsonParser.log

2022-09-09 17:02:32,826 WARN c.e.d.f.FileHouseKeeperUtil [fileHousekeeperSystem-akka.actor.default-dispatcher-20068] Unable to delete: D:\ApertureDataStudio\data\log\com\experian\datastudio\sdk\parser\json\JsonParser.log

• Ian Hayden

Hi George,

Thanks for getting back to me. These are harmless errors that we see quite often. Could you send me the full log file at ian.hayden@experian.com?

Thanks,

Ian

• I just emailed; also working with the system admins to get the latest file this morning right after I attempted to refresh the data for 3 tables and received the same error.

• Ian Hayden

Thanks George. I have replied to your email, and we can continue this offline.