Format number to 2 DPs

SpeedySteven
SpeedySteven Member
edited December 2023 in General

I have some data that I'm importing and I want to convert to currency format nnn.nn - there doesn't appear to be a way to do this in aperture. Any ideas? I've tried the Round function but no joy - I want to convert 28 to 28.00 etc.

Best Answer

• Henry Simms
    Henry Simms Administrator
    Answer ✓

@SpeedySteven I noticed that the re-usable formula was exported from a Data Studio 2.4.2 environment. These packages are typically not backwards-compatible, so if you have an earlier version of Data Studio you will probably find that you can't import. Any version 2.4.2 or later should be fine.

Answers

• Henry Simms
    edited September 2021
    Hi @SpeedySteven , there's a good discussion about this problem here: https://community.experianaperture.io/discussion/668/transform-to-decimal

The last proposed solution in the thread is probably the most complete.
  • Thanks Henry - that's really helped - I can't seem to save the re-usable formula though

• Thanks Henry - we need to upgrade

• @SpeedySteven This function ought to do what you want, without any need to upgrade anything.

How it works ...

This function takes an input parameter (called inNumber

Multiply inNumber by 100 and round it to zero decimal places (using Half-Even rounding)

Save the rounded number as a variable "RoundNum"

We're then going to chop this number up into 2 bits - the right two digits (let's call that RightBit) and everything else (LeftBit).

We then concatenate these two bits either side of a decimal point and save it in the variable outString : LeftBit.RightBit

This works for any number except zero, which ends up as ".0", so we have to handle zeroes as a special case, so we check to see if the outString = ".0" and if it does we return "0.00", if not we return outString

Test Data

• @SpeedySteven Here's a function that does what you want without needing to upgrade anything.

How it Works

Multiply inNumber by 100 and round it to zero decimal places (using Half-Even rounding)

Save the rounded number as a variable RoundNum

We're then going to chop this number up into 2 bits - the right two digits (let's call that RightBit) and everything else (LeftBit).

We then concatenate these two bits either side of a decimal point and save it in the variable outString = LeftBit.RightBit

This works for any number except zero, which ends up as ".0", so we have to handle zeroes as a special case, so we check to see if the outString = ".0" and if it does we return "0.00", if not we return outString

Test Data

• @SpeedySteven This function does what you want without needing to upgrade anything.

How it Works

Save the rounded number as a variable RoundNum

We then concatenate these two bits either side of a decimal point and save it in the variable outString (LeftBit.RightBit)

This works for any number except zero, which ends up as ".0", so we have to handle zeroes as a special case

So we check to see if the outString = ".0" and if it does we return "0.00", if not we return outString

Test Data

• I' m trying to use the function but and I'm receiving the following error message.

" 0 isn't a valid scale"

Any ideas to why is it happening?

Many thanks in advance

• Henry Simms

Hi @Marco_13112001 , I wasn't able to recreate your issue using the function described above. Could you attach an exported dmx of the function you are trying to use, or screenshot it?

Thanks, Henry

• @Henry Simms thanks for your reply but after a more thorough research I was able to run it by using the Pad number 2dp function, which gave the same results that I was looking for.