Number of columns in a dataset or a view

Slimani
Slimani Member
edited December 2023 in General

Hello,

How do we know the number of columns in a dataset (or a view) when we are in a workflow ?

Thank for your help

Best regards

Tagged:

Answers

• Josh Boxer
    Josh Boxer Administrator

Hi Ali

If you are in the Workflow then click on 'Show step results' on any step and it shows the column (and row) count in bottom left corner.

To calculate a count of the number of columns in a Workflow, a Profile and Group is one option:

Where the Group is doing the default 'Count' action

• Hi Josh,

Once again thanks for your reactivity.

My use case is to identify automatically the number of columns in a view that I don't manage. SO the view's manager can change his structure.

The issue with this solution is that we need to do manual action in the profile. So if in the next execution of the workflow I will have 3 more clumns in my view, they will not be taken into account in the profile step

Best regards

• Josh Boxer
    Josh Boxer Administrator

Maybe someone else can think of a solution, but what is the use case? Why do you need to calculate the number of columns?

Thanks

• I need to compare the column number of a view with the expected column number. Be cause I can not identify the case when I have more columns as expected.

In my solution I use profile step, this function uses a predefined columns, but if I get more columns that expected, my profile step will not be updated automatically and still deals with the old columns and not with the new

I hope that I've answered your question

Best regards

Best regards

• Josh Boxer
    Josh Boxer Administrator

Thanks for the response. We have an improvement to Profile that I think would help here and I have added your 'vote' to increase the priority.

Another option might be to write a Custom step to count columns, it could potentially do something else in addition more specific to your use case https://docs.experianaperture.io/data-quality/aperture-data-studio-v2/extend-data-studio-functionality/use-the-sdk/