Length of the maximum number of columns?

Eekki
edited December 2023 in General

I'm trying to import database table data into Aperture, but I'm having a problem with the length of the column (if it’s quite long, maybe over 100 characters).

For example:

My column in the database:

example1@exampledomaim.doc, example2@exampledomaim.doc, example3@exampledomaim.doc, example4@exampledomaim.doc, example5@exampledomaim.doc, example6@exampledomaim.doc

The column ends in the middle. End of column result look like this:

example1@exampledomaim.doc, example2@exampledomaim.doc, example3@exampledomaim.doc, example4@exampledomai

Does anyone have the same problem?

I don't understand why it doesn't bring all the contents of the column into Aperture. Are there any length restrictions? There should be a possibility for the user to specify the length of the column when the data set is imported into Aperture.

Best Answer

• Henry Simms
    Henry Simms Administrator
    Answer ✓

Hi @Eekki

I think what you're seeing here is the truncation applied by the UI to stop data grids from being very slow to open and explore in your browser. In fact, Data Studio is capable of loading values up to 32 k bytes in length. When loading from an External system like a database table, Data Studio will derive its Dataset schema from the table schema, so you won't need to configure things like lengths or data types.

Although the UI truncates the value that you see, there are several ways to confirm that Data Studio has loaded and stored the full value (and operates on it for filtering, grouping, validation, profile etc)

1) As a quick check, you can right click and "copy cell data" to see that the full value is copied, not just the text that is visible in the UI

2) You can use the Length function to display the length of the values. Again, this shows that any functions are applied to the whole stored value:

There's a setting in Data Studio that controls how many characters are displayed in a cell in the UI, which you can find in Settings > Data handling (admins will be able to view and change this setting):

Changing the limit will immediately cause more characters to appear in the grid, but there could be some impact on UI performance. Result after changing from the default 100 to 200 characters:

Answers

• Hi,

this was exactly the answer I was looking for. I didn’t realize it was central to managing settings.

Thanks for the help.