Where I can change Backup period start time?

Hi all,

I found place where I can set backup time period. But nowhere are no mention how to determine exact start time of that period. So, our case I want that backups are made ones per day and time should be around 22.00 or near. This time is important because our server backups are running over a night. Now, it seems that backup start time is set somehow random. I don't like that at all.

Another question: I want to know all things that I can set by repositories.json file. Here:

Data Quality user documentation | Install Data Studio on Windows (experianaperture.io)

are mentioned so small amount configs that I can set.

Answers

• Henry Simms
    Henry Simms Administrator
    edited October 15

To explain how the repository (and event) backups work in a bit more detail, we'll start with the repositories.json file used in one of our prod servers:

Active backup

An incremental backup is automatically performed every intervalInMinutes , so for the above example, an incremental backup will take place every 10 minutes.

The incremental backup file is always made to the same folder as the repository itself, with "-backup" appended to its name, and this is the active backup. By default is called repository-backup.db

Because the active backup file is being written to regularly, it is not recommended that a copy of this file is taken directly by an external process, because it cannot be guaranteed that it is in a consistent state (i.e. a backup may be writing to it at the time that the copy is being made).

Historic backup

Each time an incremental backup is completed (every 10 mins in this example), Data Studio will replicate it to an alternate location where it maintains a set of historic backups. Current and historic backups are stored in a folder named \backup alongside the repository file.

The most recent historic copy of the repository will always have the file name [repositoryFileName]-backup-current.db (so by default it is called repository-backup-current.db). This allows automated tools to easily locate the latest backup for copying elsewhere.

At a regular interval, a copy of the repository-backup-current.db will be made to create a historic backup file and the timestamp of the historic backup will be added to the filename. The interval for this process is specified in the backupHistoryIntervalInMinutes configuration option. In the above example, a historic copy of the active backup is taken every 1440 minutes (24 hours).

The configuration option maxHistoricBackups determines how many historic backup files are kept. In the example here, 8 backups are being kept, so we have 8 days' worth of backups. Older backups are automatically deleted.

The historic backup folder can then be synched to a separate file system for backup.

Timing of backups

Active (incremental) backups are designed to be taken regularly, and the timing is relative to the server startup time. Setting "backupOnStartup" : true will ensure that a repository backup is taken at startup, and then incrementally every subsequent intervalInMinutes

We do not configure a specific time of day for creating the historic backup file creation. These will be created backupHistoryIntervalInMinutes after the last historical backup file was created, or a close as possible. If the host server is down when a backup or historical backup copy would otherwise be scheduled, the backup process is simply delayed until it can next happen.