OUTPUT step in a workflow

Hello, rookie here again. I'm trying to understand the output step but the only thing I can find in documentation is below. When do you use an Output step? Where is the output located? how do you use the output step in another workflow, view, etc.?

When a re-usable Workflow is using the Output step, the step's data will be available in another Workflows.

Click Show step results to view the result from previous step that connects to the Output step.

Tagged:

Answers

• Ivan Ng
    Ivan Ng Administrator

Hello christyjime,

Thanks for reaching out. As you have mentioned above, the output step is only used in re-usable workflows. A reusable workflows is one that allows you to select it as a step in another workflow, allowing your to pass data from the main workflow into the reusable workflow for further processing. Having an output step in the reusable workflow will result in your reusable workflow step having an output node, thus allowing you to bring back the data processed in the reusable workflow to continue processing in the main workflow. You can see my example below:

My reusable workflow is doing the standardized transformation on all my records. All my Sales datasets that I receive periodically will be pass through this transformation process, hence I made it reusable. Noticed that I have an output step attached as the last step.

And here is my main workflow that is passing in the dataset to the reusable workflow:

So from the main workflow, I'm passing in the data to the reusable workflow for the routine transformation then bringing it back to the main workflow (via the output node, made available by the Output step) for further processing. So that's basically the function of the output step. Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks.

• Thanks, I'm going to take this info and use it in my exploits.