User Information in Dataset get API

Mahulima
Mahulima Contributor

Is it possible to get the User Information, ex, who used or created the dataset that Information or Last User Information from the Dataset Get API. I can see that when I am manually doing Get More information the Dataset but not getting that as an output column when I fetch the metadata from API

@KatriM

Tagged:

Answers

• The way I have done this before is to use the /events endpoint (https://docs.experianaperture.io/data-quality/aperture-data-studio-v2/extend-data-studio-functionality/use-the-rest-api/#generate-audit-information-on-data-studio-operations-and-user-sessions) to bring back a lot of user-action information. Then I filter on the events I'm interested in and join into other data sets.

For instance, to find out who created and last refreshed a dataset, I filter only the "dataset created" and "dataset refreshed" events, sort on event timestamp to get the latest events, and then join to data from the Datasets endpoints using the event's object Id (which will be a dataset I'd in the case of these events).

I would then being in further data from the /users endpoint to populate user name or role info since the events data just has a user id.

One problem with this approach is that, since the events log is transactional, it can get very large and records are typically purged after a period of time (configurable, default is 90 days I believe). So for older datasets, you may no longer have access to the "dataset created" event.

• Mahulima
    Mahulima Contributor

@henry_

In the Event I see only these Event Types , I dont see "dataset created" and "dataset refreshed" events, Do you think I am checking in the correct Place?

• Mahulima
    Mahulima Contributor

I think the Data is in OPERATION Column. I got it . Thanks :)

• Henry Simms
    Henry Simms Administrator

Yes, you got it :)

To confirm for others, the OPERATION gives a more granular level of detail than the EVENTTYPE:

The operation relevant to refreshing data in a Dataset is "Update Dataset" (Eventtype is "Update Object")