When should I use a Match Lookup rather than a join

Clinton Jones
Clinton Jones Experian Elite
edited December 2023 in General

I have a large amount of data (hundreds of millions of transactional records) that I need to match up against a list of master data records by name (less than 100,000) - which would be better, a match lookup or a join?

Some of these records might constitute exact matches.

Some of these records might have case differences i.e. John Smith vs. john smith

I don't have a real fixed key that I can guarantee will make a join, but I might actually have missing or unmatchable transactional records.

Best Answer

Answers

• Danny Roden
    Danny Roden Administrator

Hi Clinton, what's the relationship between these datasets and what are you hoping to achieve?

Are you looking to do a full-join to return all the different combinations, or to simply bring flag records that match, or to return a list of attributes from one dataset onto the other?

• Clinton Jones

The transactional data contains transactional events - basically shopping cart transactions that were made with contact data cut not tied to a 'known account'

GUID, FIRSTNAME, LASTNAME, SHIPADDRESS(multiline/unstructured), EMAIL, PHONE, PRODUCT, DATE, QTY, PRICEPER, ORDERVALUE

The known accounts are my master records

ACCOUNTID, TITLE, FIRSTNAME, LASTNAME, BILLADDRESS1, BILLADDRESS2, BILL_CITY, BILL_ZIP, BILL_COUNTRY, PHONE, EMAIL

• Tanj Jagpal
    Tanj Jagpal Administrator

@Clinton did this answer your question?

• Nigel Light
    Nigel Light Contributor

Is it worth creating hash-keys to match in Aperture? (seemed to make a big difference when matching strings in Pandora)

• Clinton Jones

My view is that hash keys can be useful.