Source name as workflow parameter

Options

Hi,

I wonder if you can help me tackle this challenge.

Let's say your customer has a dataset containing information about gamers. With their details and what games they like to play and such …

You are a gaming platform and hold data about different games. Each game's data is stored in a separate dataset. These datasets will have some similarities but the schemas are not identical.

Your customer wants to get info about the gamers for their chosen games.

How do you design a workflow to use a specific source dataset based on the parameter provided.

Eg. your customer wants to get data about Roblox - you tell your workflow to use the Roblox dataset as source for this run (the logic after this step is repeated).

Eg2. your customer wants to get info about woman from their dataset playing Roblox and about men playing Pokemon. So you want the option to choose different criteria for different games.

How would you add a source dataset for a re-usable workflow based on a parameter?

I imagine something like: Workflow parameter = sourceName

if sourceName=='Roblox' use dataset 'Roblox'

Any suggestions how to implement this logic?

thank you

Answers

• Josh Boxer
    Josh Boxer Administrator
    Options

If I am understanding this correctly, you have multiple tables of data that all have different schemas and you want to run them all through a single Workflow without any pre-processing to make them consistent. I cannot think of a way to make this work.

If you consolidated the tables into a single consistent table then the Workflow could have a mandatory parameter that filters the single table for only the desired records. Another option would be to put the data into a database and extract only the desired tables and records but into a consistent schema for downstream processing.

• Emilia Fuks
    Options

thanks Josh, this was my understanding as well.

I was hoping there was a way to use the Lookup tool with several definitions (I'm working with a small number of tables 16-18 at the moment) but was wondering if there is a way to instruct ADS to use specific definitions based on a parameter and not go and look for a match in all tables?