Data Studio v2.0 - transform function Map to Target

Hi

I will be loading over 15 sources of customer data.

To assist with column naming and tagging the columns l setup a file with all the headings so all data have the same column labels. As part of this heading template l tagged each column.

When l load other files l am using the function map to target to change the headings to be the same as template, saves me renaming all columns and if you add a column or remove down the track can do in template file it maps too. So a big plus.

However, when l map the file to the template file the columns are perfect but does not bring across the tags. Therefore every load of data l have to do the tagging on columns for each and l deliberately added different tags to same column and it just joins them together. Seems l can only do manually and on each file as it loads (annonate).

Is there another way to not have to tag each file?

Any suggestions would be helpful

thanks

Carolyn

Answers

• Clinton JonesClinton Jones Experian Elite

Hi @Carolyn if i undestand correctly, what is happening is that your tagged data in your data sets is losing the data tags beyond the map to target step inclusion?

Do you also have data tags on your target datasource ?

• CarolynCarolyn Contributor

Hi Clinton

Thank you for reply.

My plan was not to put tags on my source data and when l used the map to target step, this would be tagged and it would then use the tags from the target source.

I found if l had tags on datasource, because it ignores the tags on the target file, it would pick them up. But this meant l would still need to tag every input file when it is loaded and at this time the data is quite messy. Alternatively, l load datasource, map to target, then some how tag it at this point, but again l am tagging the target everytime, which l can do but thought the target could have column headings and tagged columns reduce a bit of work

Ideally, because the target layout was going to be the constant file for all inputs, l wanted to tag this so l only ever have to do once and no ability to tag columns different.

I guess the question is, can l tag the target file and a datasource will use the tags from this and not have to tag every datasource manually. It is easier to do this in v2.0 than 1.0 but thought l might be able to do once

Hope this helps clarify it

thanks for your assistance

Carolyn

• Clinton JonesClinton Jones Experian Elite

Hi, yes I can confirm you've uncovered something that was unanticipated.

We'll create an enhancement request to get this remediated.

• CarolynCarolyn Contributor

Thank you. Will save so much work for tagging once we have this for anyone that has to load multiple sources with many columns that need tagging. Appreciate you coming back on this and requesting enhancement.